Monday, September 2, 2013

Benedict Cumberbatch in Episode VII?


Last week there was word that a major casting announcement would be made very soon. Film Chronicles is reporting that it's Star Trek's Benedict Cumberbatch. Of course, anything that is not confirmed by Lucasfilm should be considered a rumor. Cumberbatch told Total Film, "I was much more connected to [Star Wars] as a kid, in the way that a lot of kids are because it's immediate storytelling, very simple – a beautifully, outrageously simple narrative in a way – and a wonderful three-act melodrama, opera. And I loved them. I really, really loved those films and I always wanted to be Han Solo. Everything Harrison Ford did I just thought was the coolest thing ever."

A lot of people seem to be reacting to this news the way everyone is about Ben Affleck being cast as Batman. In my opinion, Cumberbatch has the right look for Star Wars and I think he could be great. However, he is already in Star Trek and I don't think being in both franchises really works. Karl Urban (McCoy in Star Trek) puts it perfectly, "I've seen every single Star Wars film, even the animated, The Clone Wars, and all that sort of stuff. I just love that universe, but that being said, I have no desire to be part of it. I don't see the worlds of Star Trek and Star Wars joining. I've made a commitment to Star Trek and I'm going to keep it. It wouldn't feel right to me. Being in Star Trek, to suddenly be in Star Wars wouldn't feel right to me." (Source: IGN)

What are your thoughts?

UPDATE:

Cumberbatch's Rep told Daily News, "The British actor is not reteaming with his “Star Trek Into Darkness" director on J.J. Abrams’ foray into the “Star Wars” universe."

1 comment:

  1. Well I am just looking forward to him being in the next season of the new British version of Sherlock Holmes.

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete