Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

There's a lot going forward with Star Wars, and for that I am so unbelievably excited and grateful. But I'm not about to forget the Prequels and my love for Anakin and Padme. So, in an effort to incorporate more content surrounding our favorite couple in the galaxy, I have a few posts centered around Padme Amidala's wardrobe. I have challenged myself to choose only two favorite outfits from each film. Yeah, we'll see how that goes!

Today I have featured two of her eleven outfits in The Phantom Menace both as the Queen and as the girl.


TATOOINE OUTFIT

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

"As Queen Amidala in TPM, Natalie wears nearly a dozen outfits; far fewer were originally planned, but by the time the script was finalized, George's desire to expand the fashion universe had lead to an almost threefold increase. She wears a different outfit in nearly every scene."
- Tricia Beggar, Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars


Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

I didn't choose this one because of its appearance but because of what took place while she wore it. Who knew she'd meet her future husband on such a dusty planet in attire that definitely wasn't the norm for her. It was only her braided her that was taken up half way into a stylized bun with braids cascading down against her flowing hair that resembled her feminine side and the important role of which she played back home on Naboo. Anakin Skywalker was just a "Funny little boy", so wishing she had looked her best didn't cross her mind even once. She had more important things to worry about. Still, while conversing with him she couldn't help but be astonished by his words and confident personality. Little Ani captured her attention like no other being had before. It was in that moment, both in their tunics and baggy pants, that they made a rare connection and their future would change forever.

For many more photos of this Tatooine outfit, click here.


CELEBRATION GOWN

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

"We were told that Queen Amidala was to be in disguise, that she could sneak out the back of her costumes and you wouldn't know she was gone, which is why she is wearing clothing up to her chin and white face paint, like you find on geishas, Mongolians or Elizabeth I of England."
- Ian McCaig, Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star War


Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

Padme Amidala's Wardrobe: My Favorites Part 1 | Anakin And His Angel

Choosing one gown from the Queen's wardrobe is no easy task. After much deliberation and looking through my costume books, I decide that the gown she wears during the parade at the end of the film is my favorite. I do love the all-white statement look with the faint hints of pink, yellow, and gold in her flowing cape which was made up of over 250 petals. The layering effect of the cape is very angelic, especially combined with the collar that sits behind her head like a halo. The hair style isn't my favorite but I do love the silver head piece draped across her forehead. Though this gown is much more relaxed than the rest of her closet, it's still very detailed and obviously only fit for someone of royalty. Another reason this gown is my favorite is because it coincides with the celebration her mother, Princess Leia, would one day be part of. She also wore white to represent, what I would assume, peace. Something they both fought for every day. Oh, and I can't forget the smiles each of them shared with their future men afterwards. Priceless!

For many more photos and interesting facts of this gown, click here.


If you had to pick two outfits, which would you choose?

1 comment

  1. I love these outfits too! The first one has always been a favorite of mine. It looks comfy yet adventurous! :) Choosing only two is so hard tho! D; But...I guess perhaps the gold dress she wears in EpII, in the meadow scene, would be my other. I've always loved that one so much it's SO pretty!
    And, I'll give an honorable mention to her white outfit on Tatooine too. <3

    ReplyDelete