Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story

Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story | Anakin and His Angel
(Full Size)
Cover by Elsa Charretier & Mauricet

When I heard about IDW's Star Wars Adventure comic book series I knew I needed to read it just by the cover alone. I don't think anyone could argue that the inspiration for it came from another certain duo in The Last Jedi. Am I right? Honestly, I'm always thrilled over any new Anakin and Padme content that is curated. Although this series is geared towards younger readers I myself enjoyed it and I truly think other A/P fans will too. This issue, #12 to be exact, was released in late July and Part 2 was recently released in August. I hope to get my hands on it soon!


Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story | Anakin and His Angel
(Full Size)

The story starts off with Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala reporting to the Jedi Council on a peculiar case they happened upon after being invited by Madam Synata, a legendary actress of high influence, to one of her highly spoken-of parties on her private ship. This was intended to be somewhat like a date for Anakin and Padme with promises between the both of them that there would be no talk of Senate or Jedi Council business. This instantly took me back to the conversations they had in The Clone Wars regarding work related topics or anything else that took time away from them and I couldn't help but smile.


Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story | Anakin and His Angel
(Full Size)
Alternate cover by Nicoletta Baldari.

After an interesting and mostly one-sided conversation with Risha Synata, Anakin and Padme are basically forced into seeing a museum centered on the different characters Synata has portrayed the following day before Synata's next theater performance. At this point I wasn't the least bit interested in this new and exuberant character but I knew something was about to happen which kept me interested along with the fact that I was curious to see what more of Anakin and Padme's interactions would look like.


Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story | Anakin and His Angel
(Full Size)

Anakin sees Padme to her room on the ship for the night but obviously invites himself in. Padme grunts in complaint about having to attend the museum while Anakin sees it as an opportunity to have a bit of fun without having to worry about the Jedi Council discovering their relationship. I really loved the way their scenes were written because it felt just like the couple we see in the films and in The Clone Wars. Authors Elsa Charretier and Pierrick Colinet did a remarkable job staying true to their individual personalities and their relationship.


Star Wars Adventures #12: An Anakin & Padme Story | Anakin and His Angel
(Full Size)

They get to the museum and Padme is more annoyed than ever now after seeing a statue of Synata dressed as Queen Amidala misquoting an iconic moment from The Phantom Menace. Anakin tries to make light of it but Padme isn't amused until something that holds a special meaning catches her eye. She spots a backdrop of Varykino, the location on Naboo where they exchanged vows. The two playfully banter and end up sharing a tender moment only to be interrupted by several angry-eyed individuals in costumes of familiar faces all exclaiming, "No getting out of it this time Padme!". It was an ambush! At this point it was unclear to me whether they were droids or not because they all had red eyes and robotic like mouths. They begin chasing Anakin and Padme who slip through a passage way and escape their pursuers. That's when they discover a mysterious symbol and a picture that seems to indicate that Synata is actually part of the Dark Side. Even more interesting she may be working with none other than Count Dooku! And that's where Part 1 concludes the story. What an unexpected twist!

Have you read this comic yet? What did you think? I'll have an overview of the second part along with my thoughts on the blog soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks to The Moons of Iego Facebook Group for providing photos of the Anakin and Padme moments from the comic book.

No comments