Exploring The Mandalorian: Chapter 5

Exploring The Mandalorian: Chapter 5 | Anakin and His Angel

CHAPTER 5
The Gunslinger: The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.
Written by: Jon Favreau & Dave Filoni | Directed by: Dave Filoni

When the fifth chapter concluded, I looked over to my husband and asked "Did anything happen in this episode?". We both agreed that nothing of significance was added to the storyline. There was little to no character development and the Mando and Child are left in the same spot that they were in at the end of Chapter 4. There were some cool moments that stood out to me but I need more than an intense action sequence and nostalgic Star Wars references from an episode that I would refer to as "good". Unfortunately, this is my new least favorite Chapter.

Chapter 5 puts us right into a space dog fight between the Mando and an unfamiliar bounty hunter called Riot Mar. I immediately shouted, "SICK!", because it was exactly that. In fact, this was my favorite scene from the episode. It felt exciting to see some one-on-one space action! Things weren't looking too pretty for the Mando in the beginning but the way he finally takes Riot out was very satisfying. Unfortunately, the Razor Crest needed some repairs after the damage from the fight which led us to the next location...

TATOOINE! I love this planet and I get quite giddy whenever it is referenced in new Star Wars lore. It feels like home (though I highly doubt I'd ever say that if I actually visited)! The Mando and the Child arrive at Docking Bay 35 in Mos Eisley. The Child is asleep at this time and once again, the Mando leaves him behind. He speaks with a repair woman, named Peli Motto (Amy Sedaris), who owns several Pit Droids. The Mando makes it clear that he doesn't want any droids working on the Razor Crest. The way he despises droids always make me think of how Han Solo feels about the Ewoks and it's kind of amusing. The Mando explains to Peli that he needs to find a job to earn enough credits to pay her for her work on his ship so that's exactly what he does.

And where else would he go but Mos Eisley Cantina!? I couldn't help but smile over the fact that we got to visit this place again though it was much less populated, less aggressive and much quieter since the last time we saw it. The Mando converses with some wanna be Han Solo named Toro Calican (Jake Cannavale) who is actually sitting exactly where Han Solo sat when he shot Greedo. Toro is trying to make it into the guild and offers to let the Mando keep the rewards if he helped him catch the bounty Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen), an elite mercenary. This was a cool idea for the story but I personally felt that Cannavale's performance as Toro was incredibly weak. I found myself wanting most scenes that he was in to be over and done with. Luckily, before the Mando and Toro head off towards the Dune Sea on a couple of swoop bikes (thanks Dave Filoni for all of the exciting references in this Chapter!), we find that Peli has discovered the Child and is taking care of him while the Mando is away. This called for a huge sigh of relief from me though I wouldn't leave the Child with anyone I just met. You would think that at this point the Mando would realize he can't leave the Child ANYWHERE alone and that he shouldn't entrust ANYONE with him.

On their journey, the Mando and Toro spot Banthas and run into Tusken Raiders. My Tatooine heart felt so full! The Mandolorian surprisingly spoke to the Tusken Raiders with sign language and made a trade with them for safe passage through their territory. At first I found this very out of character for the Tuskens as I don't believe we've ever seen them outside of "kill mode" (or have we?). But I ended up finding this side of them interesting because they really did seem quite civil contrary to what we (or I) believed them to be.

As the Mando and Toro continue on their journey to find Fennec Shand, they spot a Dewback dragging a dead bounty hunter who they presumed to be Fennec. However, the Mandolorian soon realizes it was a trap set by Fennec herself to catch anyone who was after her. She wastes no time trying to take the Mandalorian out with her sniper rifle! The Mando decides they must keep low and wait until nightfall to proceed across the desert on their swoop bikes. Once it was time, the Mando and Toro used flares to prevent Fennec from being able to spot them but she ends up shooting the Mandalorian right in the chest. Once the Mando is back on his feet, he finds Toro and Fennec going to head to head and intervenes to have Fennec cuffed. The Mando leaves Fennec with Toro to track the Dewback so that they can return to town since one of the swoop bikes was damaged. While he is away, Fennec uses this opportunity to convince Toro that the Mandalorian is a wanted man for turning on the guild and taking a high valued target from Navarro. She explains that if he releases her they can take him down together and acquire a prize money much greater than the one he'd receive for turning her in. Toro didn't care about the money, he just wanted to get into the guild and this sounded like the perfect opportunity for him. I honestly thought that once Toro released her that she wouldn't hesitate to kill him instantly. I was so shocked that it was the other way around!

The Mando finally returns with the Dewback to find Fennec dead and Toro gone. He quickly gets back to the Hanger where Toro has taken the Child and Peli hostage. The Mando obviously outsmarts him and kills him. He then pays Peli and sets off with the Child once again. The episode ended with "someone" finding Fennec in the same spot we saw her before. We see the bottom half of their legs and hear the sound of boot spurs which definitely didn't feel like Star Wars to me.

For once, I have no idea where the next episode will take us but I do hope that the story progresses more than the last couple of chapters. It's kind of shocking to think that there are only three episodes left! I'm still enjoying the show, but not as much as I had hoped.

What did you think of the episode? Let me know in a comment below or send me a DM on Twitter or Instagram! I am NOT openly discussing spoilers about The Mandalorian on social media.

No comments