Exploring The Mandalorian: Chapter 3

Exploring The Mandalorian: Chapter 3 | Anakin and His Angel

CHAPTER 3
The Sin: The battered Mandalorian returns to his client for his reward.
Written by: Jon Favreau | Directed by: Deborah Chow

While the beginning of the third episode of The Mandalorian felt just as slow-paced as the previous two episodes, it picked up near the final act and was so intense I thought my heart was going to explode! I felt like a child unable to sit still on the couch (sorry, husband!) I enjoyed this episode so much. It's actually my new favorite episode so I'm very excited to discuss some of my favorite scenes with you all.

The Mando returns our little green friend to the Client (Werner Herzog) and Dr. Pershing (Omid Abtahi) both of whom we met in Chapter 1. I loved that even though the Mando is masked I could still sense his hesitancy in giving up the child. My heart was a mess throughout most of the episode! The Client pays the Mando in beskar steel as promised but the Mando doesn't leave without questioning what will be done with Tiny. The Client is surprised he would inquire about the asset since it is not in the Guild's code and leaves it at that. I saw the Client as much more of a villain in this episode and instantly decided I didn't like him.

After the Mando trades in his beskar steel for a shiny new set of armor from the Armorer (Emily Swallow) he heads to meet with Greef Karga for a new job, Tiny still on his mind. The Mando questions Greef but he too declines to answer. The Mando makes his way back to the Razor Crest. As he sits in the pilot seat he notices the knob was knocked off of the engine throttle (Tiny was wanting to play with it in the beginning of the episode). This touches him and he continues to contemplate whether to leave or to return and save Tiny, remembering that he, too, was once left behind. To me, this was the most emotional scene in the series so far. The struggle that I saw through the Mando's mask was quite powerful. It takes a strong actor to be able to express emotion of that level with their face covered up. This scene instantly made me more worried for Tiny!

Of course, the Mando goes back to get Tiny and makes his way through many Stormtroopers using several different combative skills. He finds him with Dr. Pershing where he is safe and asleep on a table where it looks like he is being scanned by a machine that covered almost the entirety of his small body. Previous to this scene the Mando was listening in on the Client and Dr. Pershing's conversation where the Client says "Extract the necessary material and be done with it." I don't know if midichlorians are something that can be extracted but to me, that's the only thing that would make sense. I asked my husband Jason about this and he said that he thinks they want to use him to bring back the Emperor. OMG! Imagine if this story connected in such a way with The Rise of Skywalker. My mind will be blown!

After the Mando escapes using his new heat-seeking (?) whistling birds - that are essentially tiny torpedos - against several Stormtroopers, he calmly walks back to the Razor Crest with Tiny bundled in one arm. Little does he know that every single Bounty Hunter in town had been alerted that the asset was on the move. I could not sit still during this scene! They surround him. Greef Carga is among the group and gives the Mando directions to put the bounty down "or else". The Mando holds his own for a while (we get to see him use his pistol, flame thrower and disruptor rifle!) but soon realizes he is up against too many. Suddenly, the other Mandalorians come out of hiding (due to the great purge of Mandalore) to help their friend and THEY ARE ALL FLYING WITH THEIR JET PACKS! It was such an amazing scene and one, for some reason, I didn't expect to see in this series. Before the show started I had envisioned an action-packed Star Wars series so I hope we get to see more battles like this one in future episodes!

The episode ends with Tiny and the Mando inside the Razor Crest on route to who knows where. Tiny reaches for the knob once again and the Mando hands it to him. I love these two so much and I'm really glad we get to see more of Tiny in the continuation of this story. I won't ever be able to get enough of him!

In my review of Chapter 2 I mentioned I had a feeling that the Mando and Tiny would become inseparable. I'm so happy I was right! I imagine now they they'll be on quite the adventure trying to stay low and out of sight from all of the Bounty Hunters who will be after them. Will the Mandalorian also try to find out where Tiny came from? Does Tiny already have a name or will the Mando give him one? We'll find out in one week!

What did you think of this episode? Let me know in a comment below or send me a DM on Twitter or Instagram! I am NOT openly discussing spoilers about The Mandalorian on social media.

No comments