Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel

This morning, prices for various items at the Disney Parks were increased including building a droid at the Droid Depot, and a lightsaber at Savi's Workshop. Prices are taking effect immediately even if you already had a reservation made in the last 60 days. The last price increase for both Savi's lightsabers and the Legacy lightsabers was in April 2021.


DROID DEPOT

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
(Price increase from $99.99 - $119.99)

The price of building a droid went up $20. Do I still think it's worth it? Absolutely! The experience of having a myriad of droid pieces going by on a conveyer built to choose from, building the droid, and actually being able to use and interact with it once completed is amazing! In the end, you'll have a cute little droid friend, a remote control, and a carry box.

I built my droid, BB-HRT, in September 2019. If you're interested, you can check out the process and read my review here. Please note that while reading, some of the information may be out-of-date since it was a few years ago.


SAVI'S WORKSHOP

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Droid Depot & Savi's Price Increase | Anakin and His Angel
(Price increase from $219.99 - $249.99)

The price of building a custom lightsaber went up $30. When Galaxy's Edge first opened in 2019, building a lightsaber cost $199.99. So, it's gone up $50 since then. Do I still think it's worth it? I've contemplated with this one all morning. While I don't think the price should have gone up that much, I still think it's a super unique and exciting experience, one that made me quite emotional. But let's also look at some pricing comparisons...

The majority of the Legacy lightsabers available at Dok Ondar's are either $149 or $159 (a select few are priced higher than this), and that's just for the hilt. By the time you get the blade, which is priced at $44.99 and $49.99 depending on the length you choose, you're looking at around $210-ish before tax. Even the new Obi-Wan Kenobi Legacy lightsaber set (last seen at the Trading Post at Downtown Disney) is $219.99 which comes with the hilt, blade, stand, and belt clip! As you can see, both of these options are cheaper than building a lightsaber.

At Savi's, you pay $249 for the experience of piecing together your own lightsaber (choose from 4 themes), the kyber crystal color of your choice (interchangeable), a blade, and a sheath to carry your lightsaber (please be aware that it will wear out over time). You'll also receive a commemorative pin prior to the experience.

After looking at and comparing this information, I do have to say that I think that building your own lightsaber is now slightly overpriced. I don't believe that it should cost more than the average Legacy lightsaber along with a blade.

However, I do honestly think it'll still be worth it for many fans. Had I never done it until this point, as a massive Star Wars fan, I would still choose to pay that price. As I said before, it's such a unique opportunity, and if you appreciate experiences like these, you'll probably enjoy it! I do have my limits though. I don't think that any future price increases would be reasonable unless the experience was somehow updated to match the cost.

I also think that the ability to be able to swap out different colored kyber crystals is awesome, and something that cannot be done with legacy lightsabers. But I will say, I think that the Legacy lightsabers are of better quality.

I think it really comes down to these 3 things that you can ask yourself when choosing whether or not going to Savi's is right for you:

1): Do you want to experience building your own lightsaber in a unique setting with other fans?
2): Do you prefer a custom lightsaber that's your own or, a lightsaber of a character that you hold an emotional attachment to?
3): Are you ok with paying "partially" for the experience of it?

If you're interested, you can read all about the process of building a custom lightsaber and my review here. Please note that while reading, some of the information may be out-of-date since it was a few years ago.

What do you think of these price increases? Let me know in a comment below or get in touch with me on Instagram or Twitter.

No comments